Maintenance Request Information

Service Problems

Please check this list for common questions about maintenance issues. Many service calls placed are for items that are considered Tenant Obligations as a part of your lease. If your question is not answered or problem resolved after reviewing this list, then feel free to send a maintenance request. Please keep in mind that if we do come out and find that the problem involved a tenant responsibility item, the Cost will be charged back to you.

Common problems that are the tenant’s responsibility:

  1. Garbage disposal is not working – please see the special page called Garbage Disposal Troubleshooting which discusses in detail how to get your disposal working again.
  2. Burned out light bulb – It is the tenant’s responsibility to replace all burned out light bulbs.
  3. Ice/Water filter replacement – Some refrigerators have ice/water filters located inside the refrigerator. If the filter requires replacement during your tenancy, it is your responsibility to purchase and replace this filter.
  4. Heating/Air Conditioning system filter replacement – Replacing the HVAC filters every 2 months will keep your energy costs lower and provide for better operation. Most hardware stores and Home Depot carry filters.
  5. Clearing a backed up toilet and clogged sinks/tubs – This is a tenant responsibility and most often resolved by using a plunger. If that does not resolve the clog a plumber will need to snake the drain which is a tenant cost.
  6. Electrical outlet(s) in the kitchen/bath/exterior not working – GFCI Circuits – all electric outlets in the bathrooms, kitchen and outdoors are controlled by special circuits called GFCIs. If you are experiencing any problems with the electric outlets in these areas, you will need to check all GFCI outlets. These outlets have a special reset button located on the face of the outlet that will need to be pushed in to reset the breaker. This should correct the problem.
  7. Lighting the pilot light for the gas fireplace – Open the hinged louvered door on the front of the unit located directly below the fireplace opening. Underneath the firebox, there are instructions to light the pilot light attached to a cable.
  8. Smoke detector battery needs replacement – When the smoke detector starts to make a “chirping” sound, the 9-volt battery in the unit will need to be replaced.

Per the Landlord/Tenant Act of Washington, all maintenance requests need to be made in writing, and we ask that you call our office as well. You can make requests online by entering through the TENANT PORTAL, and this will enter it into your file and satisfy the requirement for written notice. Our staff will then contact you about the next steps in the process. (see RCW 59.18.070)